Wednesday, February 4, 2009

And the Best Bong Award Goes To...

Okay, okay. By now everyone in the world has seen the picture of Michael Phelps and the bong taken back in November at the University of South Carolina. The local sheriff has used up his 15 minutes of fame making noise about filing charges (based on a photo?). Can you believe it? Bongs at a college party? Call me crazy, but I'm sure there were bongs at parties I attended while in college in the early 70's. I daresay there have been bongs at college parties for over 40 years now. Big whoop.

I know. Michael is a roll model and makes beau coup bucks as a sponsor, which demands a squeaky chlorine clean image. I'm not excusing his behavior...it was pretty stupid of him to think that someone wouldn't be around to take a picture to see to some tabloid...so those who live in glass houses could be morally outraged. But a little bit of perspective is in order here. As he himself said "I'm 23 years old". I want everyone who is just appalled at this to think back to when you were 23. Hmmm. I thought so.

I'm not a shrink or an authority on human behavior, but as a lifelong observer of stupid things people do (having survived doing some pretty stupid things during my 20's), and based on my intense 11 year experience as the mother of competitive swimmers, Michael going berserk during his breaks from swimming should surprise no one who knows what swimmers do to excel at their sport. And what happens when all the time that swimming sucks up is suddenly free with no worries about tomorrow's 5 am practice, and no coach/parent to be accountable to. It's especially bad when everyone in the world is watching you. Without the regimen of training, Michael is obviously a 'fish out of water' and has some maturing to do.

Here's one young man who is not everything people think he is. He's a very fast swimmer and fierce competitor. He was blessed with a perfect swimming body, and was fortunate to have found swimming with great coaches to make the most of his talent. And a dedicated swim mom behind him the whole way. What kind of human being he is, well, like the rest of us, he's a work in progress. I hope he takes these experiences, pulls it together, and figures it all out as he grows up. Hopefully with the same focus he uses for training and racing, and sooner rather than later. Because there's more to a successful life than gold medals, records, money, fancy SUVs, and hearty partying. I can say that. I've been 23, two and a half times over.

Thank you, Clay Jones, for the 'toon.

No comments: