Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wine Bag Failure Alert

I've been trying to do my part to reduce the number of those plastic bags from the grocery store that go to recycle, and have a fine collection of reusable grocery bags. Some were free, some I bought for 99 cents. They hail from Whole Foods, Safeway, Thriftway, Petco, and Trader Joe's. I've actually trained myself to remember them, and try to keep a few in my car.

When Trader Joe's was out of wine boxes one time, I bought two handy wine bags that hold six bottles each. I use them now for TJ's, Safeway (rather than those cardboard caddies that end up in the recycle), and when I go to my local vintner. They haven't gotten too much use, which is why I was SHOCKED, I tell you, SHOCKED that my handy wine bag failed the other day.

I'd been up at Wind River Cellars, and picked up a couple of bottles of the 'official wine of my 2009 birthday' to replace some of the bottles I drank (with help) during birthday week. It wasn't even a full caddy. Just a couple of bottles that I balanced in the bag so as to distribute the weight properly. They made it safely from the tasting room to the car. From the car to the house. That's when I ran into trouble. I took the caddy downstairs to put the wine in the garage fridge. I opened the door, and suddenly, CRASH, SMASH. And the sweet smell of pinot gris. The bottom of the bag gave way for no apparent reason. I was very sad.

Had I gone straight to the garage perhaps it wouldn't have happened. But then, next time I used it, I could have had a FULL caddy, and that would not have been good (though it would have been full of $4 a bottle wine, not two $20 bottles).

Was it a fabric flaw? Did the bag break down in the hot car? If so, that really stinks because I'll NEVER remember to take them with me on a specific wine run. I don't know when I'll get to TJ's again, so I will send them a letter asking if this has happened to anyone else. I certainly don't want to lose any more wine this way. I'll let you know what they say. Meanwhile, be sure to keep your reusable bags in the shade, just in case....

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh, nooooooo.... not the wine. Anything but the wine!

Have you ever noticed how the bag never breaks when you're carrying low fat yogurt or bran cereal? No, the bag has to break on the good stuff.