Thursday, March 15, 2012

We All Own This

I've felt all along that there were more gray areas in this story than black and white. This soldier was on his 4th deployment in 10 years. And had a TBI in his 3rd. And the clearance for TBIs has been suspect. And he had problems at home. Can anyone else see a recipe for disaster???? Anyone? I came of age in the Viet Nam era. Our troops lived through unspeakable horrors, many detailed in popular award winning films of the era. We will be watching films of history in the making any moment now. Or we should be. I've seen a few, but they aren't mainstream. They should be. This is on all of us. WTF are we doing here?

I feel ill when I read comments that scream for this man to be left to the angry Afghans. People who have no appreciation for his LONG service. For what he has suffered, and lost. For his wife, kids and family. I feel ill for the families in Afghanistan who have lost their loved ones because one soldier was one step over the line into insanity. Their burden is huge. Their country has been at war for way too long. We in the USA have never fought a war with an invading force on our soil. The Revolutionary War doesn't quite fall into that category.

We all go about our merry ways. Two wars over the last 10 years. We should all be feeling this much more personally than we are. Like the families of soldiers are. Like Afghan families are.

1 comment:

Siobhan said...

Hi,

Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

Thanks and have a great day!