Monday, May 21, 2012

The Adventure Begins

Things have been busy around here lately. I just got a smack upside the head from Juanita Jean Herownself to get my fingers tapping. Now I see that Blogspot went and revamped their whole deal. That will teach me to ignore it for so long! But I digress...

The adventure actually began a few months ago, when I visited Juanita Jean for a cut and color. She and I fantasized about a little road trip for our Band., Bitchin Betty and the Sequined Backhoes. Our calendars both had blank spaces the beginning of September, so we threw a dart at the map of the good ole USA and it landed on Charlotte, NC. Why Charlotte? That dart was sending us some kind of message.

So we grabbed her Smarter Than I am Phone, and googled Charlotte September 2012. Lo and behold, some 35,000 people are going there at the same time. Well, Juanita and I figured that Charlotte isn't THAT big a town, so we'd better figure out a way to get hotel rooms. So we went to one of those cheapo hotel websites and every damn room for miles around was already blocked. That left us no other choice. We had to join the party that was already in progress. Imagine our happy hearts that we had joined that party LONG ago, and there was a way to get one of those reservations. We had to run as delegates to the National Convention.

Now it's a good thing we live in different states, because if I had to go up against my friend JJ, well, let's just say I wouldn't have a prayer. It was a long shot for me. I've only lived in WA for 5 years. I've packed a lot into that 5 years, and gotten to know many people in my legislative district and congressional district. But we were redistricted this year into both a new LD and a new CD. And the CD has so many awesome active folks, I really didn't think I had a chance. But JJ was waging her own little campaign, no easy task for her in Texas, so if she could do it, I could at LEAST try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

To be continued....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Upanatm is excited to be a delegate with Fenway Fran!