Monday, February 11, 2008

One of These Things Is Not Like the Other

Let's go back to Sesame Street.

Which of these does NOT belong?

San Marino, Switzerland, Ireland, Liberia, Philippines, Argentina, Bolivia, Burundi, Chile, Ecuador, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Iceland, India, Indonesia , Israel, Latvia, Malta, Mongolia, Mozambique, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Peoples Republic of China, Sri Lanka, Ukraine, USA.

I woke up early Sunday morning, my brain still full of caucusing and elections. A question crossed my mind and I thought, I'll have to look that up today. I think it was in my mind because of the misogynous comments I've been noticing in the media and among the populace. Well, PARADE had the same question, so there it was, already answered for me when I opened my paper. I rephrased and edited Parade's just a bit after a little googling.

The answer is the USA, which has not ever had a female head of state, in any capacity (elected, appointed, acting). This list not including monarchs or female heads of government, such as prime ministers (sorry Margaret Thatcher fans). Some of these countries have had more than one. Some are currently lead by women.

I'd say it's about time we gave it a try. That would count as CHANGE, wouldn't it?

No comments: