Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who Dat!

Just in case anyone was wondering, I did watch every second of the Super Bowl on Sunday. In the comfort of my own home, with the Uncle Dick Memorial 54" projection TV that takes up half of my living room (dang, it looked so small in the Houston house). I love that TV for football games. It's like you're RIGHT THERE. Having drunk the daiquiris while living in NOLA for 5 years, the Saints were easy for me to cheer for. I even made King Cakes for good luck. And wore my very best Mardi Gras beads and earrings.

It's been over for three days and I'm still smiling. It was like the 2004 Red Sox all over again. Only better, in a way. New Orleans has been through a lot worse than Boston has. Don't hate me for saying that, Red Sox Nation. I still love you.

This morning I was reading in the Oregonian about the big parade they threw in the French Quarter. Near the end of the article in the sports page was this:
In the French Quarter, Thousands streamed toward the parade route, turning Bourbon Street into a river of black and gold.
Will Kaplan, 28, stood out in a billowing white toga with a gold-colored halo and the word "Breezus" on his back.

His Jesus inspired costume, he said, was made from sheets he had in a FEMA trailer he stayed in after Katrina on the University of New Orleans campus.

"I'm the spirit of the party", he said.
I can just imagine. I've seen lots of things on Bourbon Street. Some things I WISH I had pictures of...But this sounded so totally NOLA sacrilegiously funny, I thought SOMEONE must have a picture of this.

So I checked on a friend's FB site and voila! Breesus Christ himself. Only the Breesus was on his front, and the halo? Come on, those are obviously thorns. Thank you, Celia.

New Orleans. You crack me up. Still. Always.

No comments: