Sunday, January 24, 2010

Worth Waiting For

Let's see, hit the hot tub or download pictures and post....hmmmm....tempting to go with plan A. But guilt about my new year's resolution wins.

Today we FINALLY got up to Mt. Adams. We've bided our time, patiently skiing at Teacup and on the Hood side, with the masses. There has been no snow to speak of on the Adams side. Nothing worth skiing on. Until now.

Earlier this week, Thursday and Friday, Lloyd and Elliot tested the higher elevations, driving past SnoKing Sno Park to ski up the Forest Road 190. Saturday, Lloyd needed a recovery day, and I was busy being a good WA Democratic PCO in Ellensburg, voting on our candidate for Congress, but I digress...that's another post, for tomorrow.

Today's news was the Best Snow of the Season. Sorry, Saints, you're second fiddle to this (but I did get home in time to watch the OT and see you win).

It snowed all day. We started out at Forest Road 190, braving the snowmobile fumes in the parking area, and climbed where none of them dared to go, up to 4100 ft plus, about 2.5 miles. Here are Lloyd and Elliot leading the way up to our playground.


Had a blast practicing tele turns on the cleared hillside. Elliot was like a kid in a candy store. He lives for days like this.


Lloyd had more energy than anyone wanted to deal with (only kidding, sweetie). Note all the snow on his knicker socks...he loves falling in powder.


I took a break under a tree. This was my view.

Here I am, totally enjoying myself, under the tree and wishing I'd brought extra mittens or gloves because mine were soaked by this time.


Skip was a great coach, in between telling stories.


Janet, as always, made sure we found the best 'ladies rooms' and set a fine example for me to follow down the mountain. I'll figure out these tele turns yet.


By the time we headed back, all our tracks were about filled in. Here is Lloyd, pointing out the obvious:

There were about 5 inches of new snow to play in. Visibility was low, but the quality of the skiing was excellent!

We even did a good deed for the day, helping these snowmobilers out of their predicament with Ellliot's good ole Suburban and tow strap. Their mishap was blocking the road, so the people parked uphill from them would have been unable to leave Dodge either. NB: if it's snowing when you get to the Sno Park, turn around and head yourself in the homeward direction BEFORE you go and play.


A day of rest tomorrow, but Tuesday we plan to take advantage of 'our' mountain. Because today, we OWNED it! Now...on to the hot tub!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm sitting on the back deck, barefoot, looking at the pictures. Dang, I had to go put a sweater on!

Looking at your pictures is one of my fondest pleasures. Thank you.