Thursday, September 27, 2012

Kidneys on My Mind

No, I didn't make chile with kidney beans. But kidneys have been a major topic lately.

My Jamba Marimba bandmate Dottie, who is in her 60s, recently donated a kidney to a childhood friend of her daughter. This surgery was scheduled much earlier this year but ended up postponed for many reasons, due to doctor, donor and recipient issues. There sure is a lot to coordinate with it comes to transplants. More than you want to know, and more than I ever knew!

My cousin PJ, in her late 50s, is in ICU at the Brigham in Boston. She has fought Hep C, was on a liver transplant list, and went into renal failure almost two weeks ago. She is fighting for her life right now. I know she's in the best place to deal with this. And that my angel sister Linda, who is an ER nurse at Beth Israel Hospital nearby, keeps an eye on things. And my Concord cousins are there on site, keeping us posted and channeling the prayers.

Another connection is the friend and coworker of my daughter, a 35 year young woman who has kidney disease and is on a transplant list because there is no family who can help her.

Recently I listened to this report on NPR. It made so much sense. The decisions about who gets an organ should be this logical.

Update: I didn't realize I didn't post this until I went to update. My cousin Patty Jo passed yesterday. She fought a massive infection for two weeks in ICU. My heart is with my Concord Cousins, my Auntie Marilyn, and PJ's husband John Barbadoro, who we love as a Sully. PJ, you will be missed. But we know you are on the other side with our dearly 'depahted' Sullys, who were there to meet you at the crossing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sympathy to you and your cousin's family, Lorrie.

cm