Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Monday Monday

Note: It's Wednesday morning. Finally getting a chance to catch up.

Our first order of business for the day was picking up credentials and swag of the day before breakfast. Barack Obama, the Official Inaugural Book (I should have brought a bigger bag) and the Yes We Can music CD. I also bought our official delegation hat for $10. Very stylish.

Breakfast buffet was fabulous, former Speaker Tom Foley joined us, and our morning speakers included RT Ryback, Mayor of Minneapolis. Liked him. I had notes, but sadly they got wet. Oh well. Forward.

My roommate went off to the African American Caucus, while I stayed here a bit to finish my Sunday blog. I set off on my own, taking the oh so convenient light rail, in to the CarolinaFest and with high hopes of connecting with Juanita Jean and Bubba. I walked the festival area, taking in sights and sounds. Lots of people, happy people, and families with young kids, vendors galore. Food vendors, like Dan the Pig Man, groups like Girl Scouts and the health care bus. Even a water station where you could fill your water bottle. Hydration is important on a hot muggy day.

As I sat eating another frozen yogurt by the MSNBC stage, I got a text from Susan. They were at a TX delegation lunch at Whiskey River, on the second floor of the building by the MSNBC stage. Perfect! After a failed attempt to get me a credential to get in, and a security man who wouldn't let me near the door, I finally spotted them!

We had a cold drink in a Brueggers Bagels, then walked the festival back towards the Convention Center and bus area. It was such a blast. Don got interviewed by Fox News! What a hoot.

We found a spot to take a rest in the shade, but Susan didn't need much rest, what a trooper! She was like a kid at Disneyland. This week has been a Disneyland for political junkies, for sure.

Our delegation had a work crew on a house building project with Craftsman House United. Heroes at Home, Rebuilding Together, and NextGen Home/Champion Builders teamed up during both conventions to build a house for a military vet. Half of the house was built in Tampa, half in Charlotte. It will be put together Tuesday and located in Charlotte. We got to do a little painting, cleaning cabinets, siding, sweeping. I personally pulled painters tape off moulding and touch up corners with wall paint. As we finished, it poured. We stood under an EZ Up until it stopped. Everyone else headed back to the hotel to get ready for the BBQ event at 7.

I headed uptown again to hear James Taylor. Not a particularly good decision, but it added to the adventure.


Another big storm hit 4 songs into the set. I took a spot by an EZ Up where I could hear well and see a big screen, and as the sky opened up again, I was ready. Getting cozy with lots of Charlotte volunteers at the water station was fun. Then they canceled the music and told us to get inside because there was a tornado warning. Great. Got in to the EpiCenter without getting too drenched and waited it out. Met more nice people, including a city manager (who disclosed his job after I praised the city). Decided to make a run for the light rail station as the clock hit 6 pm...

The next part of the adventure included getting off at the stop nearest to Mac's Speed Shop, where our event was. I had no idea where to go so asked someone who got off there. First person was not from Charlotte and didn't know. A nice African American couple showed me where the street was, said turn right. I did, and kept walking, no BBQ. It started to rain. Then a car pulled up. It was the couple. They said, get in, we'll take you. So off we went. No BBQ. So I looked up the address in my program. It was in the opposite direction! They drove me to the door. More Charlotte Magic. I am enjoying this city.



No comments: