Sunday, April 14, 2013

Day 15: Grandest!

Today we decided to explore further along the South Rim to Hermit's Rest.


Hiking the whole thing wasn't realistic, so we drove to the D lot, walked to the shuttle transfer station near Bright Angel. Got off at the first stop, Maricopa Point, then followed the trail around to The Abyss, where we mutually agreed we'd best hop shuttles to hit the last couple of view points. The 3.6 miles we did was enough, especially after all our foot time the day before. 

It was beautiful, and so much fun to be right on the edge of the trail. Some of the drop offs were dizzying!

We were on our own a lot, especially where there was a mile between spots. People seem to be ok with .25 mile to .5 mile but more than that, they take the shuttle. 

Grand prize for lack of manners goes to the hiker who had to defecate on the very edge of the trail, did not bother to try and cover it, except with toilet paper. Ugh. No, I did NOT take a photo.

This downward view is where a uranium mine was. If you know me, you are aware I do not particularly like heights. I think I had a rail for this one....or I just held the camera out and hoped for the best!

To celebrate our Grand Days, we had late lunch/early dinner at the Bright Angel Lodge restaurant. Lloyd had a burger, I had a turkey burger that was the best I've ever had. What was in that Cilantro sauce??? MMMMM. Shared a brownie pie and walked back to the D Lot happy. Several elk decided to stroll along with us, right down the street. Our last night in Grand Canyon.

I will put more pictures in an online album soon.






No comments: