Sunday, April 7, 2013

Texas Days

Houston side trip
Days 6-8
384 miles RT

While Lloyd was having too much fun tasting BBQ, hiking, and doing a 5K fun run with Keara, I moseyed on to Houston to see Alina and attend Rita's wedding. I enjoyed my little solo road trip in the Outlander. Lloyd had a little repair work to do on the Kia for Keara. It was a fine drive, and I was oh so proud of myself, thinking I was avoiding all the school time traffic as I rolled into Sugar Land via New Territory. Who knew that whole University area would be unrecognizable in such a short time?! I got totally turned around and ended up going through the dang school zones anyway. Good thing Jill had some nice cold wine waiting for me when I got out the other side. Had a great night with our old friends Seversons, with Roger's expertly made margaritas and take out Freebirds burritos. YUM!

The wedding in Alvin at Oakwinds B and B was lovely. Here is Steve with his beautiful daughter Rita on the way to meet her groom, Adam.

Alina and friend Gaby were among the bridesmaids for Rita. The bride, of course, was beautiful. Alina and Gaby looked pretty fine themselves, along with Rita's sisters Erin (maid of honor) and Zoe (bridesmaid). Here is the lovely Alina.

It was so much fun to see the Carlson-Stadler family again, and a few other of the FCST gang: Austgens (who hosted Alina and Conor), Landecks, Jameses, and Coach Tim with Shayla Hill. After the event, Alina, Conor and I sat up with the Austgens, savoring a glass or two of wine...of course. Here are Alina, Vivian Landeck and Gaby Austgen.

The kids had plenty of plans to work around. After a walk around the levy with Lupe, I dropped them in town to discover Downtown Houston, and went to have dinner with Melissa at a lovely Indian Restaurant near her. It was great catching up with another old friend. The night ended at Austgens again. More wine. Good times. Due to the obscenely early flights of Alina and Conor, they got a shuttle and I slept in. Met up with my Dem gals at Whole Foods for lunch, laughed a lot with Juanita Jean, Mojo and Geri, then headed back to Austin in time for dinner, stopping only for gas, coffee and some cinnamon rolls for Tuesday breakfast at Hruska's Bakery.

Keara and Lloyd had gone shopping, and she whipped up a fabulous dinner for us and her new roomies of pork tenderloin, asparagus, sweet potatoes and salad. Oh, and CHEESECAKE for dessert. Grandma's recipe of course. She's a chip off the old block. I think the roommates will keep her.


Our last day in Austin involved getting our coffee to go, and getting in line at Franklin BBQ so we'd be able to get in for lunch. It was an entertaining line, and we met a family just behind us from Alaska whose daughter had gone to school in Boston at Simmons, now living in Austin. Small world. The BBQ was fabulous. We followed that up with BYOB Mini Golf, then ran up to the cheap movies in Round Rock to see Django Unchained. Margs and a few appetizers at the Salty Sow, and we were done. A full day indeed! But why didn't I take pictures???

Subtotal 2,527 miles (not including gadding about)

No comments: