Monday, October 15, 2007

We're starting to feel like locals….

It was a beautiful sunny fall Saturday in The Gorge. We put on our work boots and headed out to Wind River Cellars for the annual Harvest Day. A motley crew of volunteers, armed with cool blue handled knives and yellow plastic bins, headed for the vineyards to cut luscious Riesling grapes from the vines. For six hours we filled our bins, hiked down to dump them in the bigger boxes, then hiked back up to find a new spot. There was so much sugar on my fingers, I almost hesitated to use my camera! There were even PRIZES hidden in the vineyard, little plastic wrapped paper strips that entitled the finder to something wonderful, like a bottle of wine, or a WRC Tshirt (which I was lucky enough to find on my LAST vine!). After we'd completed our task, we were treated to a fabulous prime rib dinner. I have never seen such a huge piece of beef! And of course, lots of Wind River Cellars vino. Unfortunately for me, all I'd consumed since my bowl of oatmeal at 8:30 am was water and the occasional grape, so I was dispatched to an altered state very quickly. Had to eat a second helping of Kris' awesome potatoes to keep an even keel. On the plus side, it did numb the pain of the Sox game...Full bins 'heading' to the boxes
The long hike down to the 'grape dump'

I'll upload a few more operational photos for the next post...

No comments: