Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Calling St. Jude

The patron saint of desperate cases.

No, this isn't about Hillary's bid to be president.

Tonight we all need to pray for my daughter at Boston College. She has her theology final tomorrow. She's stressed. I reminded her about St. Jude, who was the namesake of the parish I grew up in. I hope that St. Jude will come through.

The irony of my children (who were brought up as free thinkers by their raised-Catholic mom and agnostic dad) attending colleges that are Jewish and Catholic is not lost on me. While they both do very well in philosophical endeavors, they need to fill their theology requirements with a little broader perspective. Daughter No. 1 found that in "Religion in America". Daughter No. 2, on board with the Jesuits for the next 4 years, has a more rigorous requirement: 2 semesters of theology, and two of philosophy. Straight theology. She squeaked through first semester, and seemed to be holding her own with the Catholic school kids this semester. But this is it. The dreaded FINAL. The midterm was AWFUL. Even the Catholic school kids had trouble with it, she assured me. "You won't have to take theology ever again", I told her. "Thank God for that", she replied.

So St. Jude, do your thing.

Meanwhile, I'm preparing myself to be thrilled with a really good grade in Philosophy II!

No comments: