Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Take Me To The River

I got to check off one of the top things on my 'to do' list this week. Ever since I saw A River Runs Through It, I've wanted to learn to fly fish. Monday we spent 4 hours with a fly fishing guide, learning three casting techniques and three fishing methods. It was all I hoped it would be!

We drove an hour to Maupin, Oregon, half way to Bend from where we live. The town sits along the Deschutes River, which is well known as a fly fisher's paradise. Our guide Mary Bischof met us at Henry's Deli, and we headed to the nearby park along the river, where we had a picnic table and a nearby latrine. Perfect! It was a glorious day, and I even caught a fish- a sweet little native trout, which lived to be caught another day since we were using barbless flies.

There's something very cool about wearing waders and standing in a river trying to tempt fish with fake feathery bugs....I'm 'hooked'! So for my birthday I'm shopping for a new rod and reel, and some nifty flies. Lloyd can try windsurfing all he wants. I'm heading to the river...

No comments: