Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thank You Ellen

It's nice to be home again. It was a great trip back East, but as always, the homecoming is sweet. Things sure have changed around here, from the overwhelming green of fully leafed out trees to multicolored patches of irises exploded all along the driveway. For those of you who don't move much, there's nothing like the first spring in a new place, when you get to see all the surprises (bulbs) that the previous owner(s) have left for you. We always try to add to every landscape so that the next owners will feel the same joy.

I also felt hope and joy at last night's Klickitat Dem meeting. Two brave souls have decided to run for County Commissioner! We had our monthly pot luck, and got to know them better. Lea brought strawberry shortcake, with real whipped cream and the shortcake still warm from the oven. Got my vote, easy! It will be an uphill climb, but if there's ever a time for success, it will be this November. More on the candidates later.

Then this morning, as I read the paper with my mug of coffee in hand, I was feeling a bit aggravated with OPB announcing another superdelegate for Obama. It wasn't that the super went with Obama, it was that the news was at least 2 days old, being reported as new. That's happened a lot around here. Then the negative editorial cartoon, as usual, about Hillary. Pat Schroeder's sadness began creeping in. Thank Goddess for Ellen Goodman, right there next to the cartoon. I have been a lifelong Ellen Goodman fan. Today she gave me hope in a way you might not expect. She channeled Barack Obama in a piece entitled Courting Clinton's Supporters: What Obama Should Say to Women Voters. To my fellow Hillary supporters, especially the angry and sad ones, please read this. It's a very healing piece that Obama would be wise to note. Maybe he can channel Ellen Goodman! It's too long to properly summarize. I couldn't do it justice. There's another column I read while in Boston, about Obama's mother, that's also worth reading. So thanks, Ellen. No matter what happens, I'm encouraged that we'll all stand together in November.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, read Ellens'/yesterday's column with vindication that what I had been saying about my vote for Hilary in Oregon's primary was thought elsewhere!!!! Hilary should not leave the race, but should be in on the rest of the process from a position of strength...so keep in there and speak up for having women move to greater positions of strength and normalcy in the next administration.....
Support our sisters....