Monday, June 2, 2008

Celtics, Manny, and the DNC

PAY NO ATTENTION to the man behind that curtain....
UPDATE: Hillary will NOT be conceding tonight. That is directly from the campaign. Methinks she just might like to enjoy one if not two victories tonight as well as her incredible surge in the backstretch, still pressuring the fading frontrunner. I'd party too. In fact, I just might do that.

SO, MONTANA and SOUTH DAKOTA, it's UP TO YOU! GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!
It's not over until the lady in the pantsuit says it is.


Why do I care? I keep asking myself.

It was a good weekend. The Celtics won and will now face the Lakers, just like the good old days, Manny hit his 500th home run (501 now), I finished painting the bedroom 'relaxing green', and the Spring Fest was better than I expected. I womanned the Dem Booth on Sunday, and was in a great spot to hear the music tent. Who knew the White Salmon Jazz Band was so dang good? People were shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED to see a Dem Booth at Spring Fest. There had never been one before. Best thing was, no GOP booth at all!

On the not so good side, the first man who came to the booth had to tell me about the editorial cartoon with Hillary on Mars. Yep, the one next to Ellen Goodman's column I spoke of earlier. Believe it or not, I was kind when I told him I didn't find it particularly funny. Then the next man came by and made a comment about getting rid of Hillary. I just stared at him. When the next guy came by and asked if we were pushing Obama, I told him we weren't pushing anyone just yet, wait til the voting is done. And by the way, how about signing the petitions for our local candidates? Thank you very much.

So that brings me to the DNC, which has decided that it's over. Reliable sources tell me Hillary will endorse Obama tomorrow night from New York. Of course, if a miracle happens and she wins Montana as well as S. Dakota, she may rethink that and prove them all wrong. I won't count that out. I believed in the 2004 Red Sox down 3-0 to the Yankees in the playoffs. But the DNC, those wise folk who brought us the MI FL debacle, have decided to annoint He Who They've Wanted From the Start. They are tired of hearing that he can't carry the important states in the general election. They think he can. They don't like seeing a 60 yr old woman charging like it's day one when it's just steps from the finish line. Makes him look bad. They don't find his inexperience a problem. As I heard Obama say himself, 'I've been running for president for 15 months now'. Yep. A huge proportion of your first term in the Senate. Apparently the DNC is okay with that. And if he loses, it will be all Hillary's fault. I can see it all now. There had better be a pony under all this for Hillary. It won't be veep. She's too valuable elsewhere. I'm thinking Senate Majority Leader. Harry Reid can find a new gig. Or Secretary of State. Something good.

So Howard, Nancy, Harry, Ted, just so's you know...even though I told you a long time ago that I wasn't sending you money for the DNC, the DCCC or the DSCC because you don't know what to do with it...that I'd send it to candidates directly...I'm working on some strategies for you. I'll send them back in your post paid envelopes, no cash, just valuable advice. You can start by telling us all who the key players will be in an Obama administration. I'll send you a few names.

If I like what I see, I may do more than just send in my ballot in November. But I'm worried about this election. I hope I'm wrong, and that everything will be as audaciously hopeful as Obama promises. People I know, love and respect all say it will. But I've heard the uniter thing before and I'll need to see it before I believe it. The DNC hasn't had a very good track record lately with their presidential candidates....I'd say it's past time for a change on that...oh, yeah.

And that's ALL I'm going to say on this stuff for a good long while. I've got a stack of ideas and pictures that will be a hella lot more fun than talking about elections. I know, you're all really happy about that. Thank you for indulging me my therapy. I'm gonna be okay (I live in wine country). We barely survived two terms of Bush. At least this time there's an IQ in there.

No comments: