Sunday, November 16, 2008

Survivor Cactus

Cacti are my kind of plant. Hard to kill. Yep, they're my kind of plant.

I left my best plant, that I nurtured since Louisiana days and got to bloom every year, with my most plant friendly friend, Jill, when we moved. I was afraid that a week in a hot car driving from Texas to Washington would kill my favorite plant. So I had to put it up for adoption. I kept a little Kroger clearance plant that I had no serious attachment to. If it made the trek, fine. If it didn't, fine.
I knew my best plant would live on at Jill's.

I did keep a few cuttings of the best plant, and hoped they'd 'take' in the new location. When I got here, I bought it a nice pot, and transplanted it after the trauma of moving, along with the cuttings.

This is my Christmas Cactus today. It bloomed last Christmas, and again in the spring. Now it's going at it again, only this time, the little sprigs of my Sugar Land plant that I stuck in the dirt are blooming, too! Now I have red blooms mixed with the salmon blooms. I'm so proud.

UPDATE: Jill just sent a picture of "Orphan Franny". She's doing well, and is more one schedule for holiday blooming. Must be that Central Time Zone thing. And lower latitude.

No comments: