Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What Would Susan Do?

Today's stupidity is worth a political alert. Momma, don't go any further.

Who knew there were women out there who are still stuck in mean girls fifth grade?

Up until today, two powerhouses of women's interests, the Komen Foundation and Planned Parenthood, were partners. But the Komen gang got an infusion of crazy when they hired Karen Handel as their VP. Ms Handel previously ran for Governor of the great state of Georgia on an anti-abortion rights campaign and lost. She's found her niche.

Komen grants have provided breast health care for women across the country. Many have no other health care options except for Planned Parenthood. I cannot believe that Komen is doing this. From the Washington Post:
Komen said it could not continue to fund Planned Parenthood because it has adopted new guidelines that bar it from funding organizations under congressional investigation. The House oversight and investigations subcommittee announced in the fall an investigation into Planned Parenthood’s funding.
What a crock.

My grandmother and an aunt died from metastatic breast cancers. I get Komen's original mission. Well, I thought I did. No more. Done with the ribbons, done with the pledges, done with the walks and runs and all that. I am more into making sure women get the health care they need to prevent breast cancer, or catch it early.

From now on, every piece of mail that comes into my mailbox from Komen (believe me, that's plenty) will result in an extra gift to Planned Parenthood, above and beyond my monthly gift.
I will request a donation in the name of Karen Handel, and have the card sent to Komen. Here's what you need to join me. Send thank you note to:

Karen Handel
Senior VP of Fail
c/o Susan G. Komen Foundation
P.O. Box 650309
Dallas, TX 75265-0309

1 comment:

Brian in Pacific City said...

What a great idea! I saw your suggestion at Juanita's and just donated $50 in honor of Karen Handel.

I really hate to see such a great organization brought down in this way and hope the Komen directors take note before it's too late.