Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Saturday Night Supper

My readers from Boston will know what I'm talking about. Growing up, Saturday night meant several things. Bath night. One scoop of ice cream for dessert. Hot dogs and Baked Beans with brown bread for supper. My 84 year old mother and my brother still eat baked beans on Saturday night, though the hot dogs are often replaced with turkey burgers (a little healthier).

This is the time of year when start thinking about Saturday night supper. Mostly because, it's NFL Playoff time and my way of bringing good luck to Boston teams in ANY sport is to host a New England Comfort Food party to go with the game. How wonderful that the Pats had their first playoff game on Saturday night! Perfect! A HOME game no less.

I started preparations early, because I was working at the winery that afternoon. Found my stash of saved cans for steaming the brown bread and got that done Wednesday. B&M Brown Bread can be found sometimes in grocery stores here in the Northwest, but it's a rarity. Fortunately, it's easy to make if you have cans and a big pot to steam it in. Takes a few minutes to whip up, 3 hours to steam. This link has a recipe similar to the one I use, called Brown Bread in a Can. It's an interesting read with a couple of bean and bread recipes to choose from.

Next up, the beans. Thursday night I soaked the small white beans so they'd be ready to bake on Friday. I use a recipe from Durgin Park that tastes just like the ones my Grandma Sully used to make. I will admit to liking Julia Child's crock pot version that also includes ginger...but I digress. I was using my bean pot, so it had to be the Durgin Park recipe. With salt pork, onions, molasses, dry mustard...no ketchup, no bacon, no sugar. My house smelled awesome as they slow cooked for about 6 hours. Fortunately, the back deck was as cold as my fridge, so they stayed out there to keep cool until I needed them!

Another must have for New England Comfort Food: Clam Chowder. Made the base for this from an old RI clam cookbook I've had forever. You cook some salt pork, save the bits, add potatoes and onions, flour, clam juice then throw in the clams. Save it with those flavorful bits of salt pork until you need it. When it's time to serve, you add the milk and cream, or in my case, half and half.

And where there is New England food, there is clam dip. With Ruffles (have RRRRRidges). I have a clam dip recipe from that same RI cookbook that I could eat with a spoon, it's so good.

Throw in some steamed all angus beef Oscar Meyer weiners (on sale), Gulden's mustard, and you're all set for half time. Don't forget the Sam Adams Winter Ale...and finish up with Boston Cream Pie. It's a WINNING combination.

GO PATS!

No comments: