Saturday, January 10, 2009

Back to (ab)Normal

It was a glorious predawn drive through the Gorge to PDX this morning. We left at 4:45 am to deliver Alina for her flight to Boston. The moon was full, and the occasional fog was Twilight eerie. Made us all appreciate something we would otherwise be sleeping through! Dawn broke as we headed east towards home. Not the spectacular sunrise we got to see last March when we did this run with Alina, but the shades of gray were awesome. Sorry, I do not have any photo evidence. Take my word for it, it was incredible.

Unfortunately, getting up at 4 am to make coffee for the road makes for a short night of sleep and a rather slow day. Good thing there was a football game on this afternoon. I was ready for the couch. The cold that Lloyd and Alina had finally made its way to me. I was prematurely celebrating my escape. It took advantage of my weakened immune system. I will fight anyone for the box of Kleenex right now.

It's so quiet around here with the girls gone. That and the tower that broadcasts OPB has been out since the windstorms last week, so no radio. The silence is deafening, so Lloyd links into the computer broadcasts of our favorite shows.

Last night, while Lloyd went to the Nordic Club's dinner and GPS program at China Gorge, Alina and I were on our own for a girl's night. We toyed with the idea of going over to Hood River for sushi, but decided to rent a chick flick (The Women), make low fat chicken Sloppy Joe's (Alina's choice), drink a bottle of Maryhill Sauvignon Blanc that was on sale at the local Thriftway, and share a pint of Ben and Jerry's Dublin Mudslide (two spoons, right out of the carton) while we watched the terrific dvd. The film was done, the evidence (empty bottle and empty pint) disposed of by the time Lloyd got home. It was a great last supper. I do miss having a partner in chick crime.

I've started clearing out the bedroom and living room in preparation for carpet removal and installation of the new stuff. Another piece of the remodel puzzle will be complete on Wednesday, which is Keara's 23rd birthday. I will celebrate.

2 comments:

TexasSusan said...

My babies left, too. I find that I sigh heavily a lot for a couple of days after they've left. I attach myself to my iPod and play rock and roll to get myself back in good cheer. But, actually, I'd rather have kids than music.

Fenway Fran said...

Wow, and yours are older than mine...you mean this doesn't go away???? Ever???? I suppose that's the price we pay for being moms. It's worth it. BTW, my little partner in chick crime decided we need to do a meet up in Houston some time, since husband/father has no desire to ever return there. Nothing imminent, mind you, but at some point, I will return...