Monday, January 19, 2009

We Are One

Last night I watched the late airing of the We Are One concert on the Mall. I missed the beginning, James Taylor and The Boss. I came in with Sheryl Crow and Herbie Hancock with will.i.am's Bob Marley "One Love". I'll go back later today and watch the whole thing here. Thank you HBO for the link.

It was incredible, seeing the huge crowd, the performers dwarfed by Abraham Lincoln, and all the performances carried the unifying theme. NPR has some great photos posted here. The President-elect and his family enjoying everything about the event. Stevie Wonder, with Shakira and Usher, rocked his "Higher Ground". Bono could barely contain himself as he introduced U2's "Pride". Missouri City Girl Makes Good Beyonce with a heartfelt "America the Beautiful". But the one that got me was Pete Seegar, now 90 years old, tapping his foot, strumming his banjo and helping everyone with the words to Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land", a song I admit almost always moves me to tears. It was a two hankie moment, someone kindly posted on Youtube. Enjoy.



Tomorrow I'll be getting up early to head up to Lyle for an Inauguation Breakfast with my fellow Klickitat Dems. And looking for my sister Mary's happy face in the crowd (Matt, I'm not so sure will be as enthralled with the masses). Sure makes this MLK Day very special.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lorrie!

It's you cuzzin Chris! Annie gave me your blog address and I am so enjoying reading about you and your family and your house and really enjoying the pictures. Sure wish you and Loyd could come down to Los Olas... I wish all my wonderful cuzzins could come! What a party we could have. We had a great time with Annie and Don and always do. But sure do miss seeing Trudy and Larry. I am amazed at how your girls have grown up. They are beautiful and you must be so proud...so come down and see us sometime...Get Back Loretta!

Luv
Chris

Fenway Fran said...

Well, after this depressing Dec-Jan weather, I'm thinking a trip to Las Olas with Annie and Don next year might be a good idea! I love cousin parties...