Saturday, July 5, 2008

Cinco de Julio

Today is the first anniversary of our arrival in paradise. Once I recover from the bargain wine sampling of last night, I'll make a plan for today's festivities. This day deserves its own celebration.

Life is good. The Sox have beat the Yankees two days in a row. Let's go for three today. Michael Phelps is clearing the pool. So is Katie Hoff. And 41 year old Dara Torres is going to the Olympics for the FIFTH time after winning the 100 free. Venus beat Serena in the Wimbeldon final. We're one day closer to January 20, 2009. Now if only the stock market would be as optimistic.

My mailbox has been barraged lately by some serious optimists. It started on July 2nd and continues today. What do Mrs. Amanda Clerk, Miss Celina J. Kone Ada, Mrs. Mercy Ipupu (god, is THAT really a name?), Julet Willson, Voke Doe, and Brother Alh. Morardeop have in common? They all are in desperate straits, and in dire need of my help with their financial dilemmas. All are from West Africa: Sierra Leone, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast. All are either widows or daughters of deceased cocoa/diamond merchants who left sums ranging from $10 million to $16.7 million or in the case of Mrs. Amanda Clerk, who is now in the UK, 25 million pounds sterling. Brother Alh. Morardeop I don't know...his letter is in French. The only thing I understand, never having taken French, is that he is from Burkina Faso, his situation is 'urgente' and there's 39% total des fondes in it for me if I RSVP. Where are they getting my email address from????? This is getting ridiculous.
Time to beef up the spam filter.

Oh, yeah, if you want a little diversion, hop on over to Susan's playground to see the little video I sent her this morning.

No comments: