Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Gearing Up for a BIG Weekend

Waiting for the satellite tech to come today might be the last quiet time until Monday. And NO, I didn't get to see the All Star Game, but I did watch the online play by play until the end of the 11th. The newspaper obviously had to go to bed before it was over, covering through the 13th. Looks like Yankee Stadium got its well deserved send off. And to have JD Drew get MVP honors, SWEET! Even though some classless Yankee fans booed his selection. You can dress 'em up, but you can't take them to the pahk...

It's been busy around the Casa this week. We've been printing and folding 500 'passports' for the annual Nights In White Salmon (apologies to the Moody Blues) in the streets downtown on Saturday evening. We have 19 shops that will open their doors until 9 pm, housing artists, music (including a marimba band), demos and 9 wineries. Tasters buy a commemorative glass and tickets to sample the liquid artistry. I missed it last year, when I was busy with freshman orientation and moving kids into dorms. Not this year! After I finish my shift at Wind River Cellars (local readers, come see me 1-6 in the tasting room) I'll head into town to see what I missed in '07.

Also, this weekend, we have The Gorge Games happening on both sides of the river. There will be competitions for windsurfers, kiteboarders, kayakers, sailors, bicyclists, skateboarders, runners and walkers, just about any sport that happens around here. I have a shift Friday 7 am until 2 at the kayaking venue in BZ Corner, and Sunday 8-1 at the Riverboarding even, also in BZ Corner (don't you just love that name?). I like making myself useful.

As if that wasn't enough, the Northeastern Alumni are having a gathering for the Red Sox-Mariners game on Monday in Seattle. But with gas approaching $4.50 a gallon, and tickets @$50 a pop, plus a hotel room it gets to be an expensive venture...heck, it would cost us almost as much to travel up there as it does for two seats at a Fenway game! Maybe our satellite will be back and we can watch it on TV. And rest up after our busy weekend.

No comments: