Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Primary Votes are IN

If you don't want to read political entries, skip this one. It's mild, really, but I know some people very close to me who don't like to talk politics. For inquisitive minds, read on!

THANK YOU to the 24% of the eligible voters who bothered to send in or drop off your ballots that EVERYONE had in their possession for several weeks. That means 3/4 of the people who COULD vote, didn't. Now it didn't make much difference in our little county, only one commissioner had a 3 way race that he had to get top 2 in (he did, go Jerry!). It sometimes seems like it's not worth bothering with a primary, but it's always a good thing to vote. When it's a mail in ballot, I see absolutely NO excuse for not voting. I really don't care who you vote for. I just like people to VOTE, dammit!

That said, we have an accounting of votes received. We can see who voted and who didn't in our county. All that info will be in Votebuilder soon. It's going to take a serious GOTV effort to make a difference this fall. So all of you in my precinct, be forewarned. If you didn't vote, I'm gonna hassle you this October until you do. As you sit and watch the Olympics, think of all those Chinese people who have no say in their government. It's a big deal.

Now for the Poll Dance...
Who exactly does these polls? I never get called. Maybe because we have no landline. We use VOIP through our wireless provider. And our cell phones. They never ask me. Hal recently (8/16) had fun with a pollster. He also has an interesting take on polling (8/18). That Hal, he's a crack up. I wish I could think that quickly on my feet (or on the phone). I want to have fun with a pollster, now that Hal gave me the script. Pollsters, CALL ME!

Today's big news on CNN's website, OMG- the polls show a one point lead for Obama, down from 8. A HUGE decrease (not really). I have to say, the same polls showed bad info on the race between Obama and Clinton. I also took many years of statistics classes and manipulated data for a living for a while, so I'm a polling skeptic...To what do they attribute this dastardly decline? TO HILLARY, of course. You know that GOP, they are so STUPID they need to use Hillary's play book to defeat Obama. I think not. If you are a candidate with reasonable international exposure, running against a person with, um, not so much, then you would be a fool not to point this out. So now that McCain is the one running against the candidate with, um, not so much experience and is pointing it out, IT'S HILLARY'S FAULT. Oh my. Like they wouldn't have done that ANYWAY. Pshaw. Lighten up on Hillary. She just may be your VP.

I don't know who will be the VP candidate. Of the names floated, if it isn't Joe Biden, Bill Richardson, or (gasp, should I dare say it) Hillary, then Obama isn't as smart as I think he is. This election is his and the DNC's to lose. After the last 2 elections, I stopped sending the DNC any money. This is exactly why I focus on our local candidates, and work will work my tush off for them. I have come to believe I have no control over the higher level stuff. Except to plaster my car with bumpah stickahs, volunteer with my local pahty, and VOTE of course!

1 comment:

TexasSusan said...

Did I train you right or what?

I give the DCCC no money either. They are down here wasting it faster than people can send it to them.