Saturday, December 20, 2008

Another Day, Another Foot of Snow

Don't mean to bore you all with this snow stuff, but it's the only game in town. This morning we cleared off the deck so we could get a good measurement. The Official DeKay Deckside Snowfall is 19 inches as of 10 am PST.

We're due for blizzard conditions later today, and another foot by tomorrow night. We might not see our grill and deck furniture until spring.

I told you we were going out yesterday between flakes. Well, it never really stopped. First we waded up the path to the car, cleaned it off, and headed for The Dalles.

I had my camera out as we headed across the bridge, and caught this spectacular sight: a kiteboarder on the snow. See the blue kite in the center? There is a person attached to it to the left. That's Hood River for you!

We got to Home Depot and found that the vanity tops would fit fine widthwise in the car. Lengthwise, not so much. So Lloyd strapped them in and we drove 25 miles home with the tailgate down and the hatch strapped to the boxes. I'm sorry I did not take a picture of this rig. It was too icy in the Dalles to think about photography. On the way back, however, I was leaving fingerprints in the arm rest so distracted myself with photos of I84.

The big trucks had to pull over and chain up. One lane was clear, the other was a bit rugged. I was wishing I'd pitched a fit and stayed home. But then I got this nice shot of Lyle, WA from the OR side of the river. Quaint, eh? Trying to time the utility poles so they didn't get in the picture helped with the diversion. That and a call from Alan in California.


We made it home okay. Next dilemma: How to deliver the vanity tops to the house? Easy. We slid them like toboggans (in their carboard boxes) down the hill to the front porch. They can stay there until they get installed next week.

Stay tuned for more adventures in Snowland. I do hope it doesn't turn to freezing rain late tomorrow, as forecast for Portland.

No comments: