Monday, December 22, 2008

Happy Solstice!

I know the sun is up there somewhere...but it's been a week since we had that brief respite of blue sky. Yep, it's STILL snowing. I84 is STILL closed between Hood River and Troutdale, meaning no one goes in to Portland, and no newspapers make it back out here. My morning ritual is seriously impaired. Good thing I got the coffee Friday...at least I have caffeine.

And internet. For a great Winter Solstice piece, visit my friend Hal's site.

Progress on the deck snowpack:
Check out the cool railing piles.

And the ever deepening stack on top of the table and grill.

And the Subaru which won't be seen until spring. The kayak is completely under.

Yesterday we took a walk with Brindle. She's has wicked cabin fever. We walked until she couldn't stand the snowballs accumulating between her toes, just after the two hills so we got our heart rates up. I stuck the camera in my pocket. Here are our blackberry bushes. They're under there somewhere.


This was a pretty red berried tree.

Later Lloyd went out with his new back country skis. He said the road was fine, but the nearby meadow was too deep to do anything with. He sunk in snow deeper than his gaiters.

I guess I'll make more cookies today. And get the rooms decked for the girls, who I hope and pray make it out of Boston on Thursday. Oh, and I hope and pray we make it in to Portland to get them!!!!!

2 comments:

TexasSusan said...

Okay, no more whining about it being chilly here today! Yike, Fran, that's a heap 'o snow!

Can't wait to see the bathroom counter tops installed.

Please let us know if the girls get there on time!

Fenway Fran said...

I just shoveled a foot of snow off the boxes with the vanity tops. I hope they go in tomorrow. The old fridge is now out of the living room, so now I can put up the tree! It just might look Christmassy around here by Christmas. But first, I'm heading to the hot tub. I just shoveled more than two feet of snow off the top of that sucker, and it's calling my name.