Saturday, December 13, 2008

No Where to Run to Baby, No Where to Hide

How did I miss this? I am a news junkie. Seriously. I read the paper every day. I listen to NPR. I check online and all my favorite blogs. Big OOPS.

Yeah, I heard that there was some media downsizing going on. I noticed that my USNWP subscription is now every OTHER week. How timely. They say it means more IN DEPTH reporting. Right.

Some friends in the biz let me know they still had jobs. I googled CNN cuts, to see what the damage was.

Here's a real kick in the gut for anyone like me with a science degree. CNN has decide to eliminate its entire science, environment and technology reporting team, including Miles O'Brien. Gone. Like so many glaciers and endangered species.

“We want to integrate environmental, science and technology reporting into the general editorial structure rather than have a stand alone unit,” said CNN spokesperson Barbara Levin. “Now that the bulk of our environmental coverage is being offered through the Planet in Peril franchise, which is produced by the Anderson Cooper 360 program, there is no need for a separate unit.”

So pretty boy Anderson Cooper can do just about everything. I doubt it.

At this particular time to cut this lack of quality reporting seems more than a little bit crazy. Have the execs taken the dreaded 'dumbing down of America pill'? Seems so. CNN, you have lost what little respect remained...With that, I will send another check to PBS.

Update: Not only did they let Miles go, they also graciously allowed Jamie McIntyre and Kelli Arena to 'explore other opportunities' so to speak. Time to watch Idiocracy again and cry.

No comments: