Thursday, October 25, 2012

To Not Know You Is To 'LIKE' You

It feels like a good day for a Romney Rant. So fans of Mitt, I won't be offended if you skip this one.

I know I'm not the only one on Facebook who is annoyed at the ads on the side, especially when the Mitt Romney face is on top showing all my 'friends' who LIKE him. Really, I don't want to be reminded of that every day. I'm sure they feel the same way about Obama's face popping up on theirs, with my name on it. I just hope there are more people listed that they know than I see on the Rmoney face. But I have to wonder, WHY do they LIKE him?

Fortunately, I don't note any of my Massachusetts friends on there. They know better. My friends there who are teachers certainly won't be there, after his taking credit for the status of Massachusetts education. They still remember what happened to teachers when he became governor, enamored with austerity budgets that disproportionately affected public servants and the poor. I can always count on Caroline, my Boston artist friend of over 40 years, to come up with fuel for the fire- the stuff that makes me just go nuts on Mitt Romney. Usually I contain it. Somewhat. Not today. Granted, it's from a liberal source. But I can live with that.

What set me off was this gem. Let's shatter the myth that Mitt was a bipartisan marvel in Massachusetts as Governor.  One of Mitt's Many Myths.
“I figured out from Day 1 I had to get along, and I had to work across the aisle to get anything done." Mitt Romney in Debate 1.
Oh REALLY? That's why you vetoed 800 pieces of legislation. Because you got along so well.
Vetoes don’t scream bipartisanship, and Romney had so many of them that it’s obvious he was on bad terms with the legislators from both parties as Governor. All told, Romney issued 800 vetoes in his one term as Governor. 800. Nearly all of them were overridden – 707 to be exact.
And wow, a business man is just what we need in the White House, right? Where everyone in Congress will do what he says, just like when he was a CEO. It worked so well in MA.
A Republican state representative said that Romney had a tough time dealing with the legislature, especially in his first year, because he was used to giving orders as an executive, rather than working with people to reach a consensus. Republican George Peterson said, “He was used to being a top executive, ‘and this is where we’re going, and this is how we’re going to do it.’ And this animal [the state Legislature] doesn’t work that way. Not at all. Especially when it’s overwhelmingly ruled by one party.”
By the time he left office (he was MIA 212 days his last year), almost 2/3 of the people of the Commonwealth were happy to see him go. They didn't want him back, but they didn't want him to be President either. Then or now.
Obama is leading Romney by a wide margin in Massachusetts. Not since 1916 has a candidate lost his home state and won the White House. The only saving grace for Romney is that while he is also losing his other home states of Michigan (where he grew up) and California, he has had residences in several other states that he could ostensibly call home, although certainly the folks in Massachusetts and Michigan know him best. 
Still think you 'LIKE' Mitt Romney? He's all yours. Just don't make him ours.

No comments: