Saturday, March 22, 2008

If I Had A Million

Does anyone remember that WC Fields film?
At the Voodoo Philosophical Society last night, we ate, we drank, we tawked. Then our challenge for the night: You have a million dollars to donate. You are limited to 5 charities. What would you do with it?

There was a tally clerk and categories for 'donations', with local, national and global perspectives. It was really interesting to see where people would put their bucks. Everyone had sound reasons for why they gave to certain charities. But most interesting was how people fit into the local, national and global categories. The more we queried each other, the more we could see a lot had to do with exposure. People without international exposure were very local in their focus. Local schools, local arts, local health. Teachers, counselors, public servants channeled agencies where they saw incredible need daily. Those of us who have seen global needs up close and personal had more global and national focus. It was good for all of us to talk about these things.

As for me? First off, a million split 5 ways isn't much. Truly. I think about Ben and Jerry's Oreo graphic. And what we could be fixing if we weren't dumping trillions of dollars into a war of choice. But I digress. My five picks were: Doctors Without Borders, UNICEF, Planned Parenthood, National Parks Conservancy and National Public Radio. If I were Bill Gates I could have added a lot more.

I went out with a Doctor's Without Borders group when I was in Nigeria. We vaccinated kids in migrant camps working the rubber plantations a few hours away from where we lived. The vaccines were supplied by UNICEF, and we picked them up in several locations where there were facilities to keep them cool. Hence the first two.

I've supported Planned Parenthood since I was in college. What they do for women's health care and education are invaluable. Despite what some people think, PPA is not just about abortion. It's mostly about women's health care. If PPA were better supported, there would be no need for abortion.

I love our National Parks. I am a National Park Geek. Yes, I even have a National Park Passport, and get the stamps whenever I visit one. They are a treasure, and I'm afraid they won't be there for future generations.

And NPR. I love radio. I have been a fan of NPR forever. When our local OPB station had transmission trouble this winter, and couldn't get to the tower for repairs because the snow was too deep, I went crazy. Serious withdrawal. So they are forever on my list.

So, if everyone gave some bucks to their 5 top charities, what a great place this world would be. It doesn't have to be a million.

No comments: