Thursday, March 13, 2008

Scallops

Scallops? With everything going on these days, the subject is SCALLOPS? Hey, I need a diversion from the media finding little things to make into big things. I found a few interesting topics buried on inside pages, but first, I need to talk about SCALLOPS.

When I was a kid, I hated scallops. There weren't too many foods that made me gag, but scallops was one of them. Maybe it was the little frozen heavy breaded rubber nuggets that my entire being would heave at the reheating smell of. Maybe I really WAS meant to be the fisheries biologist I became (in my first life) because I truly appreciated good seafood. Seriously, the smell of those suckers made me gag. One time I was spending the week with my best friend Peggy, who'd moved away. Her mom made the dreaded breaded scallops for dinner. I held my breath and ate them. I couldn't be rude. Mom and Dad taught us manners.

There were seven of us kids in the family. My mom didn't make a lot of exceptions when it came to food. I think we were a bit strange...we ALL loved spinach, and mom couldn't cook enough. Really, kids who fight over who got more SPINACH???? But on scallop or fish stick Fridays (hint, seven kids, yes, good Catholic family) my dear sweet mom made an exception to the eat it or starve policy. Probably because I ate everything else, including liver and onions. She'd boil some eggs. I'd happily eat a boiled egg rather than heave on a rubbery scallop.

Fast forward to my fisheries days. This person who formerly gagged on scallops squatted on the deck of a Polish side trawler rolling out on the ocean near the Scotian Shelf with a groundfish catch dumped on the deck. After sorting out the fish to be measured and weighed, we opened the scattering of scallop shells and ate them RAW. MOST delicious. Seriously delicious. Those scallops gave their lives to make me a convert.

Happiness in Rhode Island was bay scallop season. We'd take our bags and snorkel in the shallow bay waters, stalking the blue eyed scallop (remember Euel Gibbons???). Then we'd all take our limit and sit in someone's yard, shucking away. I do believe beer was involved. The treasures were frozen in small bags to be meted out over the rest of the year.

So scallops. How did I get on scallops? I saw an irresistably priced package of bay scallops at the store the other day, and snagged them. I took them home, and came up with a dinner that I'm still thinking about...Scallop scampi with artichoke risotto, with balsamic roasted asparagus, served with chilled Wind River Cellars Chardonnay (no oak, steel barrel). Ooooh la la. There was Chard IN the risotto and scampi, by the way.

I still hate fish sticks. And frozen breaded scallops. Sorry, Gorton's Fisherman.

for you cooks out there, here's my recipe, makes 3 servings (2 very hungry, 4 not so hungry):
Mince 1 medium onion, and saute it in 1 1/2 Tbsp butter in a large frying pan.
Add 1 cup risotto rice and 8 chopped canned medium artichoke hearts and a few minced or pressed garlic cloves. Stir 5 minutes.
Add half a cup of white wine, stir until evaporated.
Add 3 cups of chicken broth, one cup at a time, stirring until evaporated.
Add 1 1/2 Tbsp butter, and 1/3 cup grated parmesan or 3 cheese blend.
Keep warm.
In another pan, melt 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (pressed or minced). Cook for a minute or two, then add a pound of small bay scallops. Cook for a few minutes on each side. Add 1/4 cup white wine and cook for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Mound a serving of risotto onto the plate, making a well in the middle. Top with scallops. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.

3 comments:

Bean said...

Yum! I'm coming for dinner!
J

TexasSusan said...

The best reason to go to the Carolinas coast? Fresh scallops. Broiled, fried, smoked, or served with grits, I cannot get enough.

Will try your recipe - looks yummy.

muse said...

I love a Chardonnay that has not been in oak! I'll have to seek that one out.

I've been loving some A to Z Pinot Grigio out of Oregon. Good, clean, crisp - and a great price at Whole Foods.