Thursday, June 28, 2012

Back in Boston

I rolled into Boston last night as the Fenway Faithful were filing out of the Pahk after the Sox beat Toronto 10-4, moving into a tie with Tampa Bay for 3rd in the AL East. Watching the crowds cross the Mass Pike bridge into Kenmore Sq as my brother and I cruised underneath made me smile. I've been in that crowd. Sadly, not this time, since they're heading to the west coast I just left. Timing is everything. But I will try to get in to the Bleacher Bar before I leave.

Today will be real SUMMER weather for me. I've left Junuary behind. I got in my early walk around the 'hood, visiting all the historical souls resting in neighboring Grove Hill Cemetery, and looped around my old Elementary School, built in the 1800s but now abandoned to a new regional elementary megaschool (ironically overcrowded..duh). I circled Lowell Field, scene of many a softball game, and the summer rec program that kept us kids out of my mom's hair. Then headed back up to Main St and down the shady Gilbert St to the old homestead.

Had a nice cuppa joe with the Boston Globe...ah, life is good. Got caught up on all things local, and finding out what's going on with Scott Brown and Elizabeth Warren here in MA. They're debating when and where to debate, apparently. And Scott won't be speaking at the GOP Convention, though he is attending. And how Mitt is polling poorly in his 'home state'. No surprise there, to me anyway.

Then imagine my joy when I checked in at the WMDBS to find a great post about Fenway, the Red Sox, and Mitt Romney. Seems the Mittster got caught telling another whopper. From an April report but it didn't get much play outside of Boston.
Earlier this week Red Sox season-ticket holder Mitt Romney gave a national network interview at Fenway Park. This led someone to bring to my attention that Romney, who was governor at the time, was there at Fenway Park for the historic championship-clinching Game 4 of the 2004 World Series. Or at least, he told an Air Force pilot he was:
When he told me he was Massachusett’s governor, I politely asked him to leave the flight deck, declaring the cockpit off limits to all Red Sox fans. He laughed and made a few cracks my way, regarding the Yanks, and we hit it off pretty well. I asked him if he was at Fenway when the Sox finally won the World Series, and with a huge boyish grin he replied, “Yes I was.”
No, he wasn’t. I could go to a lot of trouble proving to you that Romney was actually in New Hampshire campaigning for George W. Bush that day, but it doesn’t really matter because — as every New Englander has been screaming while reading this post — Game 4 was played at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri.

I guess it's second nature for him, it happens so easily these days. Thanks for guest posting, Gidget!

To top off this glorious morning, the SCOTUS decision on the Affordable Care Act came down just as Robert Reich predicted yesterday. Thank you, Chief Justice Roberts. I will be smiling all day.

No comments: