Monday, June 11, 2012

Breaking into a New Decade

Well, that wasn't so bad. I am officially 60. How did that happen?

So many good things have happened to me lately that it must be a sign that 60 will be a great year.

The first present was finding out my buddy Juanita Jean also got elected as a Delegate to the National Convention. How awesome is THAT? Thanks to my buddy Hal for taping her speech so I could hear it. And my sweet daughter Keara sent me a coveted Tshirt from the Charlotte 2012 site. Then Lloyd gave me some beautiful earrings and matching pendant.

Saturday Will and Sue were in town from CA, so we went to Cascade Locks and rode the Sternwheeler for the afternoon with Will's sister and her husband, and friends Skip and Jan. Weather not so nice, but it was still fun, and the gorge is beautiful even in shades of gray. Of course our friends had not been to Springhouse Cellar, so that was the next stop. I had the day off, so got to be a customer for a change. Carey and Carolyn had the tasting room under control, and our friends were impressed.

Now for food...so we walked up the street to Celilo, where we had a fabulous dinner, our first visit there. Lloyd and I shared the scallop appetizer, a blue cheese and hazelnut salad, and paella. How do you top that? You head up to the heights to the Thirteen O One to catch Bob Connolly's last set. Not everyone gets a Bob Connolly Happy Birthday Song. So fun hanging out with Will and Sue and the Schwellers. Will's brother and sister in law own the bar. Sweet. The only bummer was trying to see the Celtics-Heat score on the TV while we were dancing...it was better not to see it.

Sunday morning we finally saw sun. It was my birthday. I splurged and cooked some applewood smoked bacon. BACON. And a nice big fresh egg from James's hens. And a broiled tomato with parm. And a whole wheat english muffin with Dotty's blueberry jam. Ahhhhh. After the paper, did a little gardening, then we headed up to AniChe Cellars in Underwood, because we hadn't been there yet (highly recommended) then on to Lyle to pick up our wine club bottles from Domaine Pouillon. The summer guys tending the tasting room were great. Small world: one is the son of a URI-GSO alum! So we took home our wine and grilled up a ribeye, baked sweet potato, and some wilted spinach with shrooms and garlic...paired up with some Domaine Pouillon Pierre...double Ahhhh!


Lots of phone calls and text messages, and the Facebook messages were so nice. But the birthday continues...tonight my fellow Dems surprised me with a lovely chocolate birthday cake. That was the one thing I didn't have all weekend! Excellent.

It's going to be a birthday month, I think. Right up until June 30th, and the Class of 70 Turns 60 Birthday Bash at the Marriott in Newton, MA.

No comments: