Saturday, June 30, 2012

Devil's in the Details

It's actually SUMMER here in Boston. The one light fleece shirt I brought 'just' in case is now at the bottom of my suitcase, along with my jeans and long sleeved shirt. I got up early this morning for a walk before it hits the 90s, and to enjoy my Morning Edition on NPR.

One report caught my attention with details I hadn't heard anywhere else. Of course, only FOX news on here at the homestead, so details aren't exactly a specialty. It has to do with the student loan legislation just passed.

Sure, the interest rates will not double. This saves student borrowers about $1,000 a year. No chump change, for sure. But here's what else the bill did:
  • Interest on graduate student loans will have to be paid while still in school
  • Eliminated six month grace period to start repayment of all loans
  • Limited number of semesters needy students can get Pell Grants
  • Made it harder to qualify for the maximum award
So it appears that students will be footing about $4.6 billion towards the deficit. Some estimates are that the total cost to students will be $18-20 billion EXTRA over the next 10 years. That's quite a shell game, legislators. The kids think you did a good thing when you actually are going to cost them more. It will be interesting to see who takes a lot of credit for this one.

No comments: