Friday, June 8, 2012

Yakama Nation Treaty Day Celebration

Today I had the great pleasure to ride up to Toppenish with my friend Ann to celebrate Treaty Days, the 157th anniversary of the signing of the treaty that formed the Yakama Nation Indian Tribe, and the 32nd anniversary of the nation’s cultural center and museum. The Yakama Nation’s Treaty, signed in 1855, combined 14 tribes and bands throughout Eastern Washington, from the Palouse going east down to the Columbia River to the south.The ACTUAL Treaty Day is tomorrow, but today was a Parade and Salmon  bake lunch. The Pow Wow starts tonight and Events run through the weekend. Tomorrow there's a Treaty Day Parade, too. Worth the trip. I had a blast, and the salmon was quite delish! Kudos to the Fish and Wildlife guys for their excellent cooking skills. For more info on Yakama history, click here!


For more parade pictures, visit my Facebook page.

I'm loving learning more about the people of my State.

No comments: