Monday, August 13, 2012

UnReal

I don't watch reality shows. I will admit to seeing a few Project Runways with Alina when she was still in High School, as well as a few Top Chefs. I was subjected to a few Dancing with the Stars when visiting my mom (not Tom DeLay, but Bristol Palin). And I recall a few American Idols, also when I had a teenager in the house.

I think they are a waste of time and a way for once respectable networks to get away with cheap programming. NBC comes to mind. NBC used to be the epitome of great dramas (think Hill St. Blues, St. Elsewhere, LA Law, ER and West Wing). How far have they fallen? Well, they cancelled Kathy Bates' Harry's Law this year. Because the demographic of the Emmy nominated show was too old. Right. As if baby boomers don't spend money?

Now they've gone beyond the pale. Check this out. A new reality show called Stars Earn Stripes hosted by retired Gen. Wesley Clark -what the fruitcake are you thinking, Wes? Celebrities, such as Todd-will-they-never-go-away-Palin, will pair-up with members of the U.S. military to compete at war-like tasks, including "long-range weapons fire." Sans the killing and dying of course.

I am speechless. And disgusted.
Of course, there is a petition you can sign.
But I don't know how we are ever gonna cure all the stupid going around.

No comments: